Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Welcome Spring 2010

Welcome to the Sculpture One Coffee Club. We are going to dive right in. I have a new system this semester of students signing in and out of class each day. Ah to be an art student and waltz in and out of studio classes(I did it to). SO! there will be a clip board in class each day and if for some(very legitimate reason) i.e. you need to leave class to go get something from your dorm to bring back to better sculpt in my class it will be noted on the sign in/sign out sheet. Please sign in as you will be absent if you do not. With Studio classes only being 2 hours now I want to be very protective of your time in my class as I will make certain most of it will be time for you to experiment with new materials and processes, work in your sketch books and become a better artist.

1st Project-2x4
Everyone needs to bring a 2x4(8feet long) to class next Wednesday the 20th to begin our project. Please do not get the 2x4 cut and ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE TREATED 2x4's.
These will cost you between $2.50 and $3.00 depending on the price of gas. You can get them at any local hardware store.
Each person will use one 2x4 to make a sculpture with. I will give a Safety Workshop about the wood shop and you can get started next week using any tool in the joint.
We will agree on a date next Wednesday for an exhibit of these finished pieces and start the process of planning: show title, press releases, social media events, flyers, food and hiring a band.

The text this semester will be Conversations on Sculpture (Perspectives on Contemporary Sculpture) by Glenn Harper and Twylene Moyer (Paperback - Nov 30, 2007). It's available on Amazon for under $20(your welcome). Please have it by Monday the 25th and bring it to every class.

The blog will be the tool I use to Grade class participation/discussion. I expect each of you to comment weekly on the blog about the class, the book, or an art/sculpture related topic that adds to a useful discourse that will push quality art production among you and your peers.

Last semester's SOCC was incredible but I'm sure you guys are up to the challenge to raise the bar for your fellow artist taking the class next semester.
GO TEAM!!!!
mikewindy

3 comments:

  1. can my 2x4 be aged? - Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mike for a great class. I really appreciate everything and I def wish sculpture 2 was offered over the fall. The coffee was good, the advice, and the shows!

    ReplyDelete